Sunday, May 22, 2011

Four suicide bombers stormed the traffic police building


Four suicide bombers stormed the traffic police building in eastern Khost province early on Sunday two of whom detonated their explosive vests while two others were gunned down by Afghan forces, local officials said.

The incident happened at 04:30 am sparking clashes between militants and Afghan forces, Abdul Hakim Ishaqzai, police chief of Khost told TOLOnews.

Firefight continued for about 10 hours and the Afghan forces are now in control of the area.

Three Afghan policemen and two Afghan national army soldiers were killed, and three policemen and an Afghan national army soldier were wounded, Abdul Jabbar Naeimi, Governor of Khost, told TOLOnews reporter.

At least one civilian was killed in the incident, he added.

Foreign forces were also seen in the area with Afghan forces, while a helicopter was hovering over the area.

The traffic police building was on fire and smoke could be seen rising.

Officials said one explosive-laden car near the building was made safe by Afghan forces.

The attackers are were in the second floor shooting down at Afghan security forces, Khost police chief said.

The Taliban group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

It comes a day after a suicide bombing hit Kabul military hospital in Wazir Akbar Khan in which 6 people were killed and 36 others were hurt.

Khost province is bordered by Pakistan and insurgents have been active in most villages of the province.

Previously insurgents have attacked on Afghan police check posts and foreign troops' bases in the province.

Taliban fighters have recently attacked government buildings and Afghan police check posts in some parts of the country.

The attack comes as Afghan security forces are to undertake security responsibility in July this year amid concerns that they may not yet be able to shoulder the burden on their own.object width="640" height="390">">

No comments: